Rathfinney Wine Estate Cellar Door, The Gun Room, Alfriston

Earlier this week I visited the Rathfinney Wine Estate Cellar Door & shop, The Gun Room in the village of Alfriston, close to the Cuckmere River in East Sussex.

Rathfinney's first 50 acres of vines were planted in April 2012, eventually it's expected to have 400 acres of the 600 acre Estate under vines.

Today we meet Kristina Whitney who is studying the Foundation Degree in Wine Business at Plumpton College Wine Dept. whilst working as Assistant manager at The Gun Room!

Kristina Whitney, Assistant Manager, The Gun RoomFoundation Degree in Wine Business



THE ORIGIN OF SUSSEX SPARKLING


About the business
Q         Why did you join Rathfinney Wine Estate?
KW I joined Rathfinny in April 2014 on a year out from University (studying Geography) and was drawn to the company because I wanted to do something a bit different to the normal ‘gap year’ job. I was especially interested as someone who was involved with Geography as to the development of Rathfinny and the new and exciting use of the land... from farm to vineyard!

Q          What does the business do?
KW Rathfinny makes wine (particularly sparkling wine) which is due for release next year but has also recently ventured into the production of gin. They also run a shop/cellar door (the Gun Room), a B&B (Flint Barns) as well as tours of the vineyard.

Cradle Valley Pinot Blanc, Pinot Gris 2016

Q          What is your favourite product?
KW Although I really like the latest vintage of the still white wine, Cradle Valley 2016, I am a big fan of the Seven Sisters gin.

Q          What does the future hold?
KW Next year will see the release of the first ever Sparkling wines from Rathfinny. I’m very excited for the wine to finally be ready and to be a part of it, having seen the business evolve over the last 3 and a half years.

Seven Sisters Gin, made with grapes & grain

About your job
Q          Why did you change careers?
KW I initially fell into this job during a year out from University, as a way of earning some money and gaining experience in the wine industry. I ended up not returning to my initial university course but ended up studying at Plumpton instead, thanks to Rathfinny putting me through the WSET Level 2 course- and haven’t looked back since!

Q          What is the best things about your current role?
KW One of the best things about my role is how diverse it is. Working in the Gun Room gives me the opportunity to guide people through wine tastings, educate the general public on the English Wine Industry as well as being in charge of our retail displays - particularly exciting at Christmas!

The Gun Room sits on The Tye, just behind Alfriston High Street

Q          What have been their biggest highlights/success in your current job?
KW A big highlight for me is seeing the vineyard grow; being part of the business from (almost) the beginning is a big highlight for me and I can’t wait to see what else is in store in the future.

About your time Plumpton
Q          What course are you studying at Plumpton?
Foundation Degree in Wine Business

Q          What was the best thing about studying at Plumpton?
KW Studying at Plumpton gives you the opportunity to learn about different areas of the wine business that you would otherwise be unaware of. They have their own winery, vineyard and professional tasting room so you really do get to see all aspects of wine from the growing of the grapes to making the wine and finally selling it. I found it especially helpful to learn about the industry I was already working in, so I really got to see things from both the theory and practical aspects.

Kristina is a asset to Rathfinney Wine Estate who really knows her subject

Q          What did Plumpton prepare you for . . . 
KW Plumpton has enabled me to feel confident going into the wine trade and developing my career by giving me experience in all aspects of the industry, from marketing to wine production and wine sales to food and wine pairings.

Q          What is your favourite Plumpton memory?
KW Some of my best memories from Plumpton involve having our lectures outside in summertime with a glass of wine in hand (for studying purposes of course).

A warm welcome awaits locals, visitors & walkers
Q          What does Plumpton do for you now?
KW I’m still at Plumpton, in my final year, so I’m still very much involved with the course but still provided with the same great level of support from all the staff there.

About you
Q          Where are you from?  
KW Eastbourne, East Sussex
                   
Q        What would be your desert island wine, or would you choose another beverage?
KW I’d probably have to choose rum actually!

Q         What is your favourite wine destination?
KW I’m currently planning a road trip through some French wine regions next year . . . so I’ll let you know!

Thank you Kristina, a pleasure to meet you. Good luck with your studies and I look forward to hearing about the French Road Trip!


Rathfinney Wine Estate
Website:         http://rathfinnyestate.com    
Twitter:          https://twitter.com/RathfinnyEstate @RathfinnyEstate       
Instagram:     https://www.instagram.com/rathfinnyestate/ @rathfinnyestate
Email:           info@rathfinnyestate.com

Plumpton College Wine Dept Wine Production Foundation Degree

Original photography & blog by Ian Pack
- call for bookings or to discuss your next project.

Images remain copyright Ian Pack and are available for commercial use.
Email:          ian@packshots.biz
Tel:              +44 7710 814665
Instagram:   www.instagram.com/ianpack @ianpack

Twitter:        www.twitter.com/ianpack @ianpack

Photography lighting equipment in association with Pixapro Lighting


Comments