Charlie Holland, Winemaker, Gusbourne Estate

On a unusually hot summer day in 2017 I journeyed to Kent from Burgess Hill to meet Charlie Holland and the team at Gusbourne Estate. I couldn't have chosen a better time to arrive, in the midst of the winery being installed & The Nest being finished!

Charlie Holland, Winemaker
BSc Viticulture and Oenology

Charlie Holland

Winemaker
GUSBOURNE ESTATE


In Charlie's words . . . 
Situated in the Garden of England near the sleepy village of Appledore in Kent, the original Gusbourne estate dates back as far as 1410 when it was first owned by nobleman John de Gosbourne. Originally known as ‘Goosbourne’, the estate crest is adorned by three geese, which can still be found on the labels of our wines.

In 2004 the estate came under the ownership of Andrew Weeber, our founder and chairman, who had the vision to plant the first vines at Gusbourne. The aim from the beginning was quite simple – to produce sparkling wine to rival some of the best wines from around the world. The first vines were planted that year.

In 2010 the debut vintages of Gusbourne Brut Reserve 2006 and Gusbourne Blanc de Blancs 2006 were released to critical acclaim. Gusbourne quickly earned a reputation as a producer of outstanding quality wines, with accolades from some of the industry's most exacting critics.

I have been involved with the Gusbourne wines for nearly 10 years now. I was first attracted to Gusbourne by the excellent vineyards and the potential to make truly exceptional wines. As a winemaker you are only ever as good as the raw product you are working with and Gusbourne grapes always stood out as some of the best in the country.

I love all of the Gusbourne wines, but my personal favourite is the Blanc de Blancs. The Chardonnay grapes we are able to produce on our sites in Kent are excellent and this wine is particularly good at expressing the soils upon which they are grown. The wine has a perfect balance of vibrant citrus fruit, complex minerality and soft, creamy texture.

The future is very exciting for Gusbourne and English wine in general. Each year we gained a better understanding of our vineyards and as we learn how best express this our wines will go from strength to strength.

As an Englishman, a career in winemaking is not something you naturally fall into. However, in 2000 I had the opportunity to work as a cellarhand in McLaren Vale, Australia and realised that there was an opportunity to spend your days doing something really special instead of being stuck behind a desk.

At the beginning of my career I always imagined settling in warmer climes abroad, but I can’t think of a more exciting and dynamic wine region in the world. Our climate is now capable of making truly world-class wines and as we continually learn more about our vineyards and winemaking our wines will continue to improve.

Stainless steel fermentation tanks awaiting installation in the winery building
I have been lucky enough to work in some of the most beautiful vineyard regions around the world. From stints in old world vineyards of France and Germany I learnt about the importance of tradition, empirical knowledge and how best to express your soils. Whilst working Australia, California and New Zealand I learnt how the latest technology and new world techniques could greatly improve wine quality. At Gusbourne we try to draw the best from both of these worlds.


After completing my WSET studies I decided to enrol on the BSc in Viticulture and Oenology at Plumpton College in 2005. Plumpton is a truly excellent establishment and responsible for training some of UK’s best winemakers today. Whilst there was always a focus on English wine, my lecturers hailed from France, Australia, South Africa and New Zealand giving a very international feel to learning. I think this has been instrumental in significantly raising the quality of English wine over the last 10-15 years.

I have so many fond memories of my time at Plumpton, but I will always remember the very first wine I made there and witnessing first hand the alchemy of turning grapes into wine. I still have some bottles left in my cellar - perhaps not the most polished wine I have produced, but special non-the-less.

I still have close ties with Plumpton. We continue to run a number trials through the wine department, take on Plumpton students during harvest and usually have at least one or two alumni working for us throughout the year.

After a long day winemaking you are more likely to find me drinking beer than wine, but if I had to choose a dessert Island wine it would be a bottle of Charles Heidsieck Blanc de Millénaires 1995.


Thank you Charlie, it was a pleasure to meet you and the team.


Gusbourne Wine Estate
Website:       https://www.gusbourne.com/contact  
Twitter:        https://twitter.com/gusbourne      
Instagram:    https://www.instagram.com/gusbourne_wine/ 
Email:          nest@gusbourne.com

Plumpton College Wine Dept 


Original photography & blog by Ian Pack - call for bookings or to discuss your next project.


Tel:              +44 7710 814665
Instagram:   www.instagram.com/ianpack @ianpack
Twitter:        www.twitter.com/ianpack @ianpack





Photography lighting equipment in association with Pixapro Lighting

Comments